Wednesday, May 14, 2008

05-11-08 Sermon Review

This week, I had the opportunity to speak at our outdoor service for Mother's Day and though I was only allowed ten minutes, I really did enjoy this great privilege of sharing the Word with the whole congregation. I pray the sermon notes below will be a blessing as you meditate on motherhood a few days after Mother's Day.

The Honor of Motherhood

Pastor Park told me a few weeks ago that I'll have this opportunity to address the mothers of our church, and what an honor to do so. It is my great joy to share with you. Since I only have ten minutes, and usually I take 45 minutes to an hour at our youth services, I'm only making one point today, and I pray this one point will leave a lasting impression. The point I want to make today by taking you through the Scriptures is this: God honors mothers.

The reason I believe this is such a critical issue today in our church is because many don't believe that motherhood is a high calling and a privilege for women. Actually, with the feminist movement infiltrating the Church, many Christian women have given into the lie that motherhood is a hindrance to women individuality, some even claiming that it hinders them from service to the Lord. But I want to show you that is completely against the teaching of Scripture. It is undeniable that the Bible displays motherhood as one of the highest callings for a woman and a great privilege. Here are three ways that I see this in Scripture.

God entrusts the raising of His servants to mothers. There is a countless number of God's servants that were raised by godly mothers. But more so it seems that God had entrusted these men into the care of their mothers. Such examples are Samson (see judges 13 and how God constantly speaks to the wife of Manoah), Timothy (see 2 Timothy 1:5), and even Jesus.

God commands His people to honor their mothers. God also requires that His people honor widows as well, widows who have served as mothers (1 Timothy 5:10). We must realzie that God doesn't simply require this from His people for it's own sake or for posterity's sake. God sees the labor of mothers as truly worthy of such honor.

God directly honors mothers in Scripture. From my recollection, there is no passage in the bible of the excellent husband, but there is one of the excellent wife (Proverbs 31). This wife that is honored was one that took motherhood seriously, and such a woman God honors. Five women are mentioned in the geneology of Jesus in Matthew 1. Timothy's mother and grandmother are praise in 2 Timothy 1:5. And these are but a couple of examples.

Though it was a very short a cursory glance at the honor of motherhood, I hope it was convincing enough to you to show that motherhood is indeed a high-calling and that it is a great privilege. I am not saying that every women should be a mother, but what I am saying is that every mother should take her call to be a mom seriously and joyfully.

I was surprised and overjoyed that God is indeed raising up a young Christian generation that has not given into the lie of feminism, but recognizes the high call of motherhood. I was reading Do Hard Things a couple of weeks ago and came across a girl name Brittany Lewin. She was eighteen years old and was already successful in the world of politics. At the height of her achievement, she says this: "I wouldn't mind a promotion from campaign manager to housewife. Motherhood is a higher calling than politics."

There is a reward for every one who serves the Lord. And as mothers, I pray you're not satisfied with the recognition you get once a year with a genuine hallmark card, or dinner out with the family, or carnations you get at church, or whatever you might do to celebrate Mother's Day. They are all good things, but they pale in comparison with the honor and the reward you will receive when the Lord calls you home and says, "Well done my good and faithful slave." Remember the high calling of motherhood, and remember the reward. God will honor your faithful service. Stay strong and God bless!

No comments: