Monday, July 7, 2008

Crazy Love - Francis Chan

Francis Chan's "Crazy Love" is a very welcome book where lukewarm Christianity is the norm and radical love for Jesus Christ is the exception. Chan gently, lovingly, and yet bluntly addresses the lack of passionate love for Jesus in our churches. I found his book to be exceptionally helpful and insightful, particularly his chapter which gives a profile of the lukewarm. In it, he makes a very bold remark, "I believe a lukewarm Christian is an oxymoron; there’s no such thing. To put it plainly, churchgoers who are ‘lukewarm’ are not Christians. We will not see them in heaven." Now that's a radical statement most people aren't used to; it's also my favorite in the book. After this, he gives a list of his observations on lukewarm Christians. The list is quite a challenging read, as you'll find yourself amidst the profile of the lukewarm in some degree or another. It is definitely a worthwhile spiritual exercise to read through it once in awhile.
The least compelling chapter is the one that lists the "radical" Christians. I agree with Tim Challies' thoughts on this one. It didn't feel as powerful as I expected it to be, and there are far greater examples of radical love for Jesus than what I found in Chan's writings. The book felt a bit too informal in its writing style, and I would have preferred a more formal approach. But I guess this is why "Crazy Love" will appeal to many, a book with a simple reading style that is both challenging and gracious. I for one, enjoyed it and gained much insight from it. I would recommend this book gladly.

Pages - 186
Reading Difficulty - Simple
Rating - 4/5
Buy or Borrow - Borrow

No comments: