Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Precious Hymn

After our praise leader found out that I love this song, he has been gracious enough to play it time and time again during our Friday night prayer meetings. There are only a few things that can stir up the soul like an amazing song full of biblical truths. The song is "I Know Whom I Have Believed" and it speaks of the wonder of God's grace and the great assurance of salvation from knowing Christ. It does not get much better than this.

I know not why God's wondrous grace to me He hath made known
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love redeemed me for His own

Refrain
But I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I've entrusted unto Him against that day

I know not how this saving grace to me He did impart
Nor how believing in His Word wrought peace within my heart

I know not how the Spirit moves, convincing us of sin
Revealing Jesus through the Word, creating faith in Him

I know not what of good or ill may be reserved for me
Of weary ways or golden days, before His face I see

I know not when my Lord may come at night or noonday fair
Nor if I walk the vale with Him or meet Him in the air

My youth student should know by now that the power of this hymn comes in one single word that begins the refrain: "but." Such contrast from the verses to the refrain so well states the power of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. And of course, the words by themselves, though they are so powerful already, are aided by a wonderful melody that is so fitting for such lyrics. It is my prayer that more songs like these will be on the lips of our Church members day and night.

No comments: