Monday, August 17, 2009

Holiness

1 Peter 1:16

"Because it is written, 'You shall be holy for I am holy.'"

Last week, I had the privilege of attending my first SFC retreat. The theme was holiness. It is so easy in this "unholy" world to forget how serious the issue of holiness is. The author of hebrews exhorts us, "Pursue... sanctification without which no one will see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14). We really need to ask our selves, "How am I being sanctified? Am I growing in holiness?" 1 Peter reminds us why God wants us to be holy: God is holy. As His children we reflect and proclaim His excellencies. We do not pursue sanctification to be just before God's eyes, we pursue sanctification because we are His children. Let us not make such a worthy endeavour a means to express our legalistic heart. Stay strong in the Lord and God bless!

No comments: