Monday, January 4, 2010

God Keeps Us from Sin

Genesis 20:4-6

"Now Abimelech had not come near her; and he said, 'Lord, will You slay a nation, even though blameless? Did he not himself say to me, "She is my sister"? And she herself said, "He is my brother." In the integrity of my heart and the innocence of my hands I have done this.' Then God said to him in the dream, 'Yes, I know that in the integrity of your heart you have done this, and I also kept you from sinning against Me; therefore I did not let you touch her.'"

Wow. Do you see what God is saying here? God kept Abimelech from sinning. Yet there is this wonderful harmony between Abimelech's will and God's keeping. It can be said that Abimelech lived with integrity and also that God kept Abimelech from sin. God does not keep us from sinning nor does He allow us to live holy without working with our hearts and desires. No wonder Spurgeon said that God's sovereignty and human will are friends.

No comments: