Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Gospel Story

I recently picked up the book "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" by Joshua Harris (review forthcoming!). In the middle of the book, Harris decides to bless us with a gospel story to encourage us in our fight against purity. The story was quite compelling and moved me to tears (yes, literal tears). I thought I might share the end of it with you to encourage you as well.

"Then [Jesus] got up and walked back to the wall of files. Starting at one end of the room, He took out a file and, one by one, began to sign His name over mine on each card.
'No!' I shouted, rushing to Him. All I could find to say was 'No, no," as I pulled the card from Him. His name shouldn't be on these cards. But there it was, written in red so rich, so dark, so alive. The name of Jesus covered mine. It was written with His blood." (Italics mine).

This short story reminded me of the joy that comes from knowing the substitutionary death of Jesus on the cross. Oh how can this be? Great sorrow and joy mingle together as I contemplate my Savior's death and my redemption in His victory over it. It leaves me speechless... Well, not quite so. It leads me to wonder and praise as I sing with the hymnist
My sin oh the bliss of this glorious thought,
My sin not in part but the whole,
Was nailed to the cross and I bear it no more!
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, oh my soul!

No comments: