Monday, November 30, 2009

We Delight in Being Created

Psalm 139:13-14

"For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well."

I asked my small group at CCS today, "Do you know what you are?" They answered, "Human." But what is a "human"? They had no answer. It reminded me that it is of great importance for us to understand our own existence. We are created beings, not autonomous entities that exist by chance or by our own power. Humans are also wonderfully created. Only when we realize that we are created can we rightly understand ourselves and delight in what we are. The idea that we are created does not discourage us. It actually reminds us of God's power and glory thereby delighting us. It arouses thankfulness and wonder. Let us delight in being created by a gracious, merciful God. May that delight extend into thanksgiving to our Maker.

No comments: