Wednesday, December 9, 2009

12-05-09 Sermon Review

Remember Your Benefits Part 2
John 14 15:31

Recently I heard someone say that there is hope in the unknown. We can have hope in the future because our future is unwritten. This isn't really hope in the biblical sense. This is merely wishful thinking. The Bible has much more to offer for comfort than simply the "unknown." Jesus, preparing His disciples for the coming trials, comforted them with things that are certain. We will continue on from last week's sermon searching out all the benefits we have that are revealed in our text. I pray that as we look at them, you will be blessed, comforted, and encouraged to face the world we live in today.

We live because Christ lives. "Because I live, you also will live." This is an amazing statement considering that it comes from someone who is about to be crucified. Jesus could not "die." He is "the life" as stated in vs. 14. The blessing is that our life is contingent upon Christ's life. We do not need to depend on dead men for life but on the eternal living One.

We are united with Christ. "In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you." What does it mean that Christ is in us and we in Christ? It means that when the Father sees us, He sees the perfect image of His Son. It means that we have intimate fellowship with Christ. It means that we will never be separated from Christ. Being united with Christ is a blessing we do not deserve.

We are loved by the Father and the Son. "And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him". This statement means much more than letting us know our relationship with the Father and the Son. This statement means that the Father will actively show His love towards us. I work at an elementary school. I do not doubt that our parents love their children. But for some parents, their love is undeniable because of their actions. This kind of undeniable love that matches heart and action is the kind of love the Father has towards us. We are dearly loved.

We are show the glory of the Son. "And I will love him and manifest myself to him." The more you understand the beauty of Christ and our former blindness to this glory, the more you will cherish this statement. His glory is absolutely enchanting. His glory is so wondrous.

We are the Father and the Son's home. "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him." Do you believe this statement? Do you see how magnificent these words are? Consider that the prophet Isaiah recounts God saying, "Heaven is My throne and the earth is My footstool. Where then is a house you could build for Me? And where is a place that I may rest?" (Isaiah 66:1).

We are taught all truth by the Spirit of truth. "But the Helper, the Holy Sppirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." This verse says much about the inspiration of Scripture, but it also says much about our current leading by the Spirit. How wonderful it is that the Spirit directs us to the truth in the midst of an age of lies. He reminds us constantly of the God's Holy Word.

We have a divine peace. "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you." My friend, Matt Hauck, wrote an insightful comment on these words: "Can anyone less than the King grant peace when the King is the one who was offended?" The offer of peace comes directly from the King Himself. Let us rejoice!

We have a patient Teacher who wants us to grow. "And now I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place you may believe." Why did Jesus say all these things. Not just for comfort, but also for growth and faith. The disciples should have already known these things. However, our Teacher is ever patient and continues to teach until we get it. Our Teacher will not give up on us until we are glorious, perfect, whole before the Father.

We have a strong Lord. "I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has not claim on me". Satan may be strong. He is even called the ruler of this world. But this being has nothing on our Lord Jesus Christ. Satan could not take Him down. Death could not take Him down. He rose victorious over all things. He is one able, strong, and mighty Lord. Take heart, for this Lord is our Savior.

I pray these meditations through Jesus' words of comfort to His own disciples were a comfort to you as well. I pray you will continue to remember and hold on to all your benefits. This is a much better hope than a hope in the unknown. Let us trust and rejoice in our Savior, Jesus the Christ! God bless!

No comments: